Saturday, August 27, 2011

Publishing's hurry up and wait by author Maureen Betita


Hurry Up! And Wait!

Publishing is like everything else, a whole lot of thinking it's gonna be one way and then it turns out the other way. Sometimes ithis is good and somethimes it is bad.

If you keep your expectations low, you might be pleasantly surprised or simply find things live up to exactly what you expected, not much. So you do your best to prepare for every possibility.

One thing that is impossible to prepare for? The timing of it all.

Writers send queries. Usually, a lot of queries. And they wait. Maybe they send them off cold, with no prior contact. Maybe they send them off after pitching the idea to an agent or editor and the sending is done in a hurry. You don't want them to forget you! Either way, the next step is to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

I mean, these are busy people and stuff you send them is just one small bit of what ends up filling their inbox. Reading takes time! And catching the right editor/agent on the right day with the right words? Wow, the odds really are against us.

But it happens and wow! The contract comes, you sign and then...you wait.

And wait.

And wait for those first editing notes. Because there are always editing notes. In the e-publishing world, speed is of the essence. Writers can't control the speed at which their editors work, all they can control is the speed at which they get through the notes and send it back to their editors.

And then they wait, again.

And wait.

On and on, for several rounds. And the book gets better, cleaner, sweeter. Well worth the frustrations of waiting.

I fought with my editor tooth and nail with book one of my Kraken's Caribbean Trilogy, The Kraken's Mirror.


 My two shorts, The Ship's Mistress and The Sister's Story, I had a different editor and we didn't bicker as much. Now, I'm working the edits for book two of the Kraken's Caribbean, The Chameleon Goggles and I'm back with the first editor, and things are moving like clockwork. We know each other now. I've also learned to be patient while waiting for edits but the use of well-timed nag is never a bad idea.

And I'm embracing the concept...Hurry up! And wait.

If all goes well, The Chameleon Goggles will be released before Halloween!

I can be found at
website
facebook
and
Romance Writers Revenge

5 comments:

Liz said...

the lightening speed at which some things move vs. the positively prehistoric slowness of others is a long-running gripe of mine! Now that I am graced with 3 different publishers and 4 editors, i'm learning to balance their relative speediness against each other.
great post. these stories sound fascinating.
cheers
Liz.

Maureen said...

Hee, hee. Then you blog and wait for comments... ;-)

Maureen said...

Liz, that is true. I imagine trying to keep multiple editors/publishers straight would require a large spreadsheet.

I hope I need that one day!

Kathleen said...

How true, Maureen! I waited for a response to queries, waited for edits, waited for release, waited for reviews, still waiting... I've learned from the wait game. Good things do take time. I had to learn for myself.

Imagine our readers lined up for a book signing waiting for us to arrive.

Great Post!

Maureen said...

Kathleen - You mean have someone wait for me? Boggles the mind!