Friday, June 3, 2011

Please welcome Author Maureen Betita

How/why did you start to write?
I'd always wanted to be a writer. I often thought of myself as a writer who hadn't begun to write. Then one day, I started writing.

How did you become an author?
Nice distinction! I'd always dreamt of being published and after a near death experience I decided rejection from an editor wasn't so bad...and began to query. Two years later I had an agent offer me representation, within months I had an offer, and then a book published.
Much easier than almost dying.

What was your first published piece?
The Kraken's Mirror, in January of this year. Then two sci fi erotic shorts, The Ship's Mistress and The Sister's Story. My publisher signed on for the rest of the kraken's Caribbean trilogy a few months ago, so I expect The Chameleon Goggles to be out in the fall, followed by The Pirate Circus before the end of the year.
Yup! Been a banner year!

Where was it published?
Decadent Publishing

How long ago?
Is there an echo in here? :-) January, this year, 2011.

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?
I've worn many hats... Worked in fast food, a hand bindery at a big print shop, telephone directory assistance, newspaper delivery, and bookstore sales clerk. The last was helpful I think when it came to considering marketing, genre classification, even whether I wanted a penname. And someday, all those years working in a metaphysical bookstore will be fodder for a story...fascinating place to work.

What inspires you?
Dreams and what ifs. Many of my stories came from that wonderful place between waking up and still being asleep. When the mind is still dancing to the tune of Morpheus and the imagination is playing like the bell to end recess is nigh...
And the what if game...I do love that game!

Please share one of your successful marketing techniques
Well, I'm not sure what works yet. I'm still trying out so many things. From my point of view, I loved making buttons and giving them away at the Romantic Times Booklover Convention. And I have plenty still, so they are going to conventions and being left out to be picked up here and there. I sent 50 to a convention in Australia and will be inserting them into the swag bag at Moonlight and Magnolias...
As for simply what gets feedback...my "Where Did the Kraken Go?" contest has been a lot of fun. Asking people to post sightings of my missing kraken has been amazing. I loved the responses I got!

Parting words
Pirates. Ice cream. Caribbean. Chocolate.
Oh, you wanted me to make sense?
Thought you just wanted favourite words.
Okay, well...never pass up the opportunity to do something where you have to dress up in a costume.

The Kraken's Mirror--blurb

Treated by our youth-orientated society as invisible and sexless Emily Pawes attends a pirate festival to recapture the make believe magic she knew as a young woman. She wins an interesting bit of booty at a bric-a-brac stand. The Kraken's mirror is a magical portal and transports her to a land of Hollywood piratitude, where swashbuckling heroes own iPods. With little choice, she embraces the madness, deciding she'll play pirate until she figures out how to get home. Or wakes up in a padded cell.

Instead of men in little white costs, she encounters the handsome Captain Alan Silvestri. He is a man haunted by a strange curse. Good luck is his to command, but it comes at the cost of any place to call home or people to call family. Resigned to die shunned by all, forced to sail every three days, he begins to dream of a special woman.

When they meet, sparks fly, passion flares. He needs her to be free, but more than that, he needs her to be whole. They set sail, uncertain of who has control of the wheel, seeking to defeat his curse of good luck and discover all the Kraken's mirror plans for them.



The Chameleon Goggles--blurb


Captain Jezebel came to the Kraken's Caribbean thirty years ago, a fiery young girl of fifteen with more nightmares than six adults. Born and raised on the capitalistic steampunk world of Novan, she left all the fifth and terror behind to become a pirate captain with her own ship. And she flourishes in her new role. Until the day an offhand comment about a zeppelin in the sky above the bay of Tortuga brings all her fears to the surface. Jezebel's past isn't dead after all and will soon come rushing to destroy her and all she has built.


Mick has spent the last fifteen years of Jezebel's side. He knows her better than she knows herself. Save for the secrets she keeps. When her behavior changes overnight he is determined to uncover what troubles his woman. What he discovers doesn't surprise him; he suspected her wounds ran deep. But the enemies at them both present a challenge that could tear them apart.


Novan has come for their lost daughter and all her stolen inventions, especially the cameleon goggles. What can a 17th century pirate ship do against a military airship? Even with the great Albino Kraken at their side?


Author links


Facebook: Maureen O. Betita author

Twitter: Maureen O. Betita

Blogging as 2nd Chance on The Romance Writers Revenge, www.romancewritersrevenge.com

No comments: