Friday, April 8, 2011

Mystery Author Sibelle Hodge

How/why did you start to write?

I've always wanted to write humorous women's fiction. As a little kid, I was always scribbling stories, and I loved making people laugh. In the UK I was too busy in the rat race, paying the mortgage, to have enough time to actually concentrate on writing. But four years ago, I gave up my job, bought a house in Cyprus, and decided to go for it. I finally had the time, peace, and the beautiful scenery to give me the inspiration I needed to start on my novel.

What was your first published piece?

I've written many published articles, but my debut novel was a romantic comedy called Fourteen Days Later. It was shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize 2008 and Highly Commended by the Yeovil Literary Prize 2009.

Where was it published?

It was first published on Amazon as a Kindle ebook. I'd queried traditional publishers and agents for a couple of years and came quite close to being published several times, but it never quite worked out. So I decided to become an Indie author and published it direct with Amazon. I haven't looked back since.

How long ago?

Nine months ago.

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?

I'm a qualified personal trainer, sports and massage therapist, and I also write freelance feature articles on health, fitness, and various lifestyle subjects. Prior to this, I also worked for Hertfordshire Constabulary for ten years.
Working for the police is such an eye opener because you come across all sorts of people who you can use as inspiration. I write a murder mystery series which involves Amber Fox, an insurance investigator, so my experience with the police gave me a great background for procedures and ideas.

What inspires you?

My ideas for novels are a mixture of real life events that people have told me about, films I've seen, books I've read, or personal experiences. All my characters are a mix of people I know, people I've observed, or people my friends and family have told me about. I take different quirks or personalities form so many people and mix them up. The fun part is you can make up anyone you want. But of course it's all topped off with a lot of imagination.

Please share one of your successful marketing techniques?

One of the hard aspects of being an Indie author is you have to do your own marketing and promoting, as well as finding the time to write. One of things I've found is a nice way of getting the word out about your books is interacting with readers on various Kindle and Indie forums.

My Perfect Wedding is out on various ebook formats and will be released in paperback in the next few months, and I'm currently working on my second Amber Fox cozy murder mystery.

Blurb:
Amber Fox has been making too many mistakes lately and something's got to give...

For starters, Amber accidentally shoots Chief Inspector Janice Skipper and gets thrown off the police force. The only one who knows the truth about the incident is Amber, but no one will believe her.

After accepting a job as an insurance investigator from her ex-fiance, Brad Beckett, it truns out that Brad thinks they've still got unfinished business and the job description includes sexual favours that come with a price.

When fashion designer, Umberto Fandango, goes missing, Amber becomes embroiled in a complicated case. But Amber's arch-enemy, Chief Inspector Skipper, is also investigating his disappearance, and it's a race against time for Amber to solve the mystery before Skipper does and get her old job back. And just when Amber thinks things can't get any worse, she's being stalked by some crazy monsters.

Who is Umberto Fandango? Is he dead? And can Amber stay one step ahead and stay alive?

Links to purchase

Reviews:
"In this cleverly written Ebook by Sibel Hodge, the reader is taken on a variety of plot twists with a missing fashion designer, crazy mobster stalkers, and a police officer on the war-path. Sexy Amber Fox is on the case and it will take all her female wit and feminine ways to stay ahead of the game. The novel was entertaining and enjoyable. A recommend for anyone."
-Hot Gossip Hot Reviews book blog

"...a witty, well-paced romp, full of energy and with plenty of satisfying twists and turns."
-Romantic Novelists' Association

"Sibel Hodge gives us one feisty insuance investigator in this comedic mystery. Amber Fox is a modern, career-driven woman who seems to be a cross between Kinsey Milhone and Grace Hart (Miss Congeniality). I enjoyed the great mixture of action adventure and slapstick. I found myself chuckling out loud and on one occasion snorting water out my nose. The humor did not detract from the solid mystery, and I appreciated all the twists and turns and sub-plots that tied into the story nicely." -Coffee Time Romance & More

2 comments:

Sibel Hodge said...

Many thanks for featuring me! :)

The Sweater Curse said...

You're most welcome Sibel. It was a pleasure. : )