Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Playlist for The Sweater Curse

In The Sweater Curse, a chance meeting between lead character Gwen Bjarnson and minor character Pathan weaves their lives together. For reasons beyond Gwen's understanding, she feels compelled to help Pathan establish her music career.
In this quote, Gwen describes Pathan's first stage performance.
'It was Friday night, The Starving Artist was packed--typical for open mic night. ...
I think I was more nervous than she was. Be good, be good, I silently repeated.
The cafe was filled with polite applause.
"I'd like to dedicate my first song to my friend, Gwen." She sang, "Stand By Me", and you could have heard needles click. Each performer was to do two songs each, but the audience wouldn't let Pathan leave until she offered them three."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4_ghoG9JQM
(John Lennon signs Stand By Me)
**
Here Gwen describes Pathan singing at a funeral:
'Pathan begins to sing "Into The Mystic". Tears threaten her voice. ...She struggles for control and wins. Her song fills the room, wraps around the mourners, comforting them. ...
Pathan...begins to sing "I Will Remember You". She begins quietly, but with each verse, the volume increases. Other voices marry with hers."
Into The Mystic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6FPsRk-HHE
(Jen Chapin sings Into The Mystic)
I Will Remember You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHooH4464dQ
(Sarah McLachlan sings I Will Remember You)
Writing songs into my story was fun, and I won't hesitate to do it again.
***
Next post: Podcast: author reading of The Sweater Curse (Chapter two, part 5)

No comments: