Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Sweater Curse (Ch 1: 7)

My deepest apologizes, my sound man (husband) has been sick. I was hopeful that we would still be able to do the recording, but Tuesday came and Tuesday went and we just weren't able to get it done. I'm hoping that he will be healthy soon (so, I'm sure, does he).
***
In place of a Podcast, I offer text...
***
The first item I knitted was a garter-stitch scarf. My aunt cast on twenty-five stitches and handed me the needles. When I finished knitting. I gave it to her to cast off.
*
After examining my work, she declared, "Your stitches are well-formed. Your tension perfect."
*
I was so proud. "Now what?" I asked, eagerly.
*
"Now, I will teach you the purl stitch," she said, demonstrating.
*
"It looks so tricky."
*
"At first, it does seem hard, but it will get easier. I know. I'll tell you a little story about Pall." Pall was my youngest cousin. "It will help you remember the steps. One day, Pall was full of Loki's mischief, he walked around the garden." My aunt put the tip of the working needle behind the yarn. "Came in the back door." She thrust the tip of the working needle into the loop. "Danced around the kitchen." Brought the yarn over the tip of the working needle, between the two needles. The working needle was brought down into the new stitch. "Finally, he hopped out the window." New stitch formed, she pulled the old stitch off the carrier needle.
*
She worked a few more rows, and then it was my turn. Once again I practiced, and eventually, used both the knit and purl stitches to make a hat for my doll.
*
"To shape the hat, you will need to learn how to decrease," she said.
*
"Decreasing only sounds difficult. All you do is knit two stitches together."
*
My education continued until I could cast on and off, knit, purl, decrease and increase with ease.
***
Next Post: Dear writing reader, a few questions...
***
Work on work in progress
Word count: 33, 066 words
A new sentence added: When my dream solidified into reality, nestled in one of my palms were two chocolate bars, dangling from four of my fingers were key chains and I was scanning a large display of magazines.

No comments: