Friday, March 25, 2011

Please welcome Author Mindy MacKay

How/why did you start to write?
*
Everyone needs a hobby, so they say. I've always been a daydreamer, and I suppose after I left sports, all the spare time and the ideas floating around in my head were a recipe for fiction.
***
How did you become an author?
*
The same way as everyone else. Submission, rejections, form rejections (the only bad kind, as they don't give you any insight about what was wrong with the piece), more submissions, finally an acceptance, edits, more edits, a bit more editing, and voila.
***
What was your first published piece?
*
My first published work was my novel, Peacebreakers, which didn't start out as a series but became a series because I couldn't get the ideas to shut up.
***
Where was it published?
*
Rogue Phoenix Press. Great people, painless editing process, overall a good experience.
***
How long ago?
*
May 2010, so almost a year now.
***
What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?
*
First off, let's get one thing straight about my writing 'career'. I'm not a writer by trade. This is the most fulfilling hobby I've ever taken up, but first and foremost, I'm a student hoping to pursue biology and medicine. I guess I can say my study of the sciences has helped me with my writing. Occasionally I come across a nifty fact or biological function I can shoehorn into a piece of fiction.
***
What inspires you?
*
A variety of things. Music, my friends, my everyday life in general. Oh, and cloudy days, when the sky is completely white like a big blank billboard. It looks like a canvas begging to be painted over, and somehow that just gets the creative juices flowing for me.
***
Please share one of your successful marketing techniques?
*
Blog tours.
***
Mad props to Leanne for having me here on her blog! (Your most welcome, Mindy. It was a wild ride.) Also a big shoutout to all my friends who read my stuff before anyone read my stuff. And good luck to Colin and Cameron in their writing endeavours, if you guys are reading this.

Blurb for Fallen from Disgrace
Rosella Cartwright wakes up in the hospital after a yearlong coma with no recollection of who she used to be. Her only clue is that everyone around her despises and avoids her. Then, she discovers the truth: before she was hospitalized, she was the most wanted maniac of New York's criminal underbelly.
*
Disgusted by reports of her own heinous crimes, she attempts to reform herself, but her efforts are in vain as society continues to cast her out of hatred and fear. All the world seems against her until she is offered a job by Daniel Ryan, a rising executive and self-made success who hides a lifetime of inner turmoil behind a facade of cool indifference. Drawn to his mystery as he is by her irrepressible darkness. Rosella starts falling for Daniel, but love can't save her from her past. A former victim of hers wants revenge, and will stop at nothing to get it. Her partners in crime want her back by their side, though she wants nothing more to do with them. And a sinister plot of her own design, buried beneath her amnesia, is, unbeknownst to her, still very much in progress. These are the monsters she will have to fight off alone, and if she doesn't watch her step, she might not make it out alive.
***
Links: www.mindymackay.com
Theylikemehere.blogspot.com
Twitter: @MindyMacKay

1 comment:

holessence said...

Minday - It's a pleasure to meet you through Leanne's blog, and learn a little bit more about you.

Write on!