Saturday, March 5, 2011

Leslie Soule

How/why did you start to write?
*
I've been making stories up for as long as I can remember. When I was little, it started with writing prompts given by my teachers. Later on as a teenager I tried my hand at Fan Fiction, which is where you try to write stories in the same style as an author you like and I soon found out I was horrible at that. For a long time, I only wrote journal entries. Then in college I began taking creative writing courses and really getting into writing fiction. After that, I was tuck working retail and to stave off the intense boredom I felt, I found that writing was a good way to fill the time up and look busy at the same time. That's how my fantasy novel Fallenwood was born, actually. It began as scribblings on the backs of receipt tape pieces that I would gather at the end of the day and record into a word document as kind of a therapeutic exercise. It was also like my own revenge against the "Empire"--they could have my body, but not my soul.*How did you become an author?
*
I guess I "became" an author when I got on board with Decadent Publishing. This happened after many years of trying to get published and being rejected time and time again. I even began keeping a notebook where I would tape in rejection letters from publishers and magazines. It got to be pretty big but it was like a collection. So anyway, that's a long way of saying that I know how hard the writing market is to break into. But I think I really became an author when Decadent picked up my short story "The Devil's Bidding."
*
What was your first published piece?
*
My first published piece was "The Devil's Bidding" which is this short story that I felt compelled to write when I was in college and it's about a guy who gets so depressed that he sells his soul on an online auction website, never suspecting that the devil might be bidding. I decided to write about this idea after a friend of mine in college showed me that some guy had put up a "soul certificate" on Ebay and was supposedly selling a piece of his soul in order to get money for college tuition and textbooks.
*
Where was it published?
*
It was published with Decadent Publishing. I actually started off as an editor with Decadent and then on a whim, decided to submit some of the writing I'd done and was delighted when they accepted.
*
How long ago?
*
"The Devil's Bidding" was released back in September of last year. Since then, Decadent has also accepted and published my stepfather's novel The Temple of the Heart, and my fantasy novel Fallenwood will be released on Friday, March 4th of this year.*What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?
*
Before embarking on my writing career, I was a college student working on my English degree and that definitely has been an asset to my writing. One of the ways it's been an asset is that it's exposed me to a lot of great literature that I might not otherwise have come into contact with. I think every writer should have a good amount of knowledge of the literature that's already out there, if for no other reason than to make sure that what you write isn't simply a duplicate or thinly-veiled copy of something that's already been done.
*
What inspires you?
*
I love the forest and mythology and anything with an "Old World" feel to it. I also love martial arts and I've been fascinated by monster stories since I was little. That explains why I love the book I'm currently reading--Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It has both ninjas and zombies in it. LOL!
*
Please share on of your successful marketing techniques?
*
Umm...I'm a relatively new author, so I'm still in the process of testing out different marketing techniques to see what works. Personally, I love sites like Night Owl Reviews and Coffee Time Romance as far as marketing goes. These sites seem to have the idea of book promotion nailed down pretty well.
*
Parting words
*
Be yourself with your writing. And write a little bit each day. That's all it takes. : )


Blurb:
Fallenwood--a land where magic is the life force, dragons are sages, and wizards good and evil battle for supremacy. When 23-year-old Ash is thrust into the middle of Fallenwood's power struggles, she is also forced to face her own inner battles. Life on Earth was hard enough on Ash, who is locked in grief for her stepfather. Now, the fate of Fallenwood rests on her shoulders. She must destroy the Great Crystal--the catalyst for all the land's magic. As the kingdoms prepare for war, Ash must look inside to find the power to save the world, and herself.
Excerpt:
The dragon's eyes glowed, for a flickering moment, with white light.
"Ash," the dragon continued, "Welcome to Terra Illumina...or as it is more commonly known, Fallenwood." The a fierce roaring laugh erupted form the stone, as though the dragon thought the new name a joke. "A dark, difficult, dangerous path lies before you, Ash Kensington."

Ash's heart grew heavy. In truth, she knew that she was destined to some terrible, dark fate. For so long, her life was filled with sadness and doubt, and one horrible thing after another. What else can I hope for?

"But Ash, you must not lose hope. Our world needs you..."
***
Leslie Soule's Website and Blog

3 comments:

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

I find it facinating to hear how an author begins their journey to publication.

The scribblings on the back of receipt tape turned into a published novel. How cool is that?

Loved the blurb and excerpt, too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will come back in the future. I want to encourage you to continue your great writing, have a nice afternoon!

Anonymous said...

very good!