Thursday, March 17, 2011

Like Magic





I wrote this piece of flash fiction five years ago. Each year, around St. Patrick's Day, I rediscover it, dust it off, polish it and share it. I hope you enjoy "Like Magic".
***
LIKE MAGIC
***
It was a crisp, cool, sunny day in mid-March. We were outside playing, as the parents came to collect their children. Soon, only one child remained. Allison swung into the cloudless blue sky--trying to be patient, trying not to worry. "Do you believe in leprechauns?"
*
The day's theme had prepared me for her question. "Oh, yes, of course. A friend of mine is a leprechaun."
*
"Really?" Her eyes widened. "What's his name?"
*
"Michael O'Neal. He's the king of the leprechauns."
*
"What does he look like?"
*
"His clothes are green, his long beard red, his leather boots black and he's as big as a minute." I measured his height with my thumb and index finger.
*
"Really?"
*
I nodded. "You know, sometimes he plays tricks on me."
*
"What kind of tricks?"
*
"He's so silly. He hides things." She giggled and I continued. "I set down my pen, my brush, my glass and then puff--like magic--it's gone."
*
"Gone forever?"
*
"No. Usually he returns what he's taken."
*
"What does he like to eat?"
*
"All things green--cucumbers, broccoli, peas, green beans."
*
"Hey, I like peas."
*
"Maybe you're a leprechaun?"
*
"No." She laughed. "What else does he like to do?"
*
"He sits on my shoulders and tells me tall tales."
*
"About?"
*
"About his long journeys and his pot of gold."
*
"He's rich?"
*
"Oh, yes, all leprechauns are."
*
"I'd like to meet a leprechaun."
*
"Someday, maybe, you will. " I looked up and noticed Allison's mom throwing open the gate. "Hey, who's here?"
*
"Mom!" Allison sang with irrepressible joy. She bounced into her mom's arms and then, like magic, Allison was gone.

 
 

1 comment:

holessence said...

Leanne - I just now discovered this post. On St. Patrick's Day you'd left a comment with a link to this post over on my blog, but it had gotten "trapped" in the "pending" folder. I just discovered it today and followed your link here.

GREAT story!