Friday, February 18, 2011

Please welcome author S.R. Claridge

Today, I'm delighted to interview S.R. Claridge.

How/why did you start to write?

The very first thing I ever wrote was a poem. I was 13 years old and my grandmother had recently passed away. We were very close and I was heartbroken when she died. I wasn't able to put my feelings into verbal patterns at the time, but it spilled out easily in written word. From that point forward, writing became my avenue of dealing with the ups and downs of life.

How did you become an author?

I had some poems published in the early 90's and then lyrics, a greeting card a short story. These were things I didn't really pursue and even though I won a contest here and there or something was published...I never thought of myself as an "author".

I think I realized I was an "author: when I received a publishing contract for my first novel.

What was your first published piece?

My first novel was NO EASY WAY.

Where was it published?

It was published by Vanilla Heart Publishing

How long ago?

October 2010

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?

I've always been a creative person, so the regular career world was unsatisfying to me, even when I was successful. I have a BA in Psychology so my first job out of school was in Social Work. When we moved to Los Angeles, I managed two temporary staffing firms, which was rewarding because I got to help people find jobs. Most of clients were Vietnamese so we had to learn a little of their language which was challenging. To this day I can still remember the staffing office telephone number in Vietnamese. One of my favourite jobs was working at a Nursing Home...until a man named Bert died while sitting next to me...that sort of freaked me out and made me realize this wasn't a long term career choice to me. I've been in sales, which I absolutely hated, and owned a tanning salon, which was fun. After I birthed my two kids I started a childcare center and ran that for several years. This was by far the most physically and emotionally demanding job I'd ever held, but rewarding in ways I can't explain.

What inspires you?

My faith in God and my family

Please share one of your successful marketing techniques?

Marketing is by far the most challenging aspect of being published. I participate in every promotional opportunity I can, but I think the most successful avenue is word-of-mouth. As in any industry, you have to get your product into the hands of people you think will enjoy it...and if they do, when they do, they'll tell two friends...and they'll tell two friends...and so on and so on. : ) As my publisher constantly reminds me...successful marketing is a marathon not a sprint.

Thank you for having me on your website today. It's been an honor and a pleasure. I am writing a mystery series called "Just Call Me Angel". Boo one of that series is now released in ebook and will be out in print next month. The name of book one is TETTERBAUM'S TRUTH. Here is a video trailer:
*
Buy Links
AMAZON TETTERBAUM'S TRUTH kindle edition
AMAZON TETTERBAUM'S TRUTH paperback edition
*
Please join me at my website: www.authorsrclaridge.com
Twitter: SRClaridgeWrite
Facebook: Author S. R. Claridge

3 comments:

JM said...

I checked out the amazon link and it sounds really good. Goin' in the stack...

The Sweater Curse said...

Thank you JM

Anne K. Albert said...

Congrats on your 2nd release, S.R.! Whoo-hoo!