Saturday, February 5, 2011

Concert on Mayne Island

I don't usually post on Saturdays. However, sometimes exciting, fun things happen and you have to tell the world.
Last night, there was a concert at the Ag Hall.
There was singing...
Oh, yes, and I was there, too.
I read this poem first in February, 2009 at the "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" fundraiser for Rest-Q Animal Sanctuary.
Did you know that the 2nd annual "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" fundraiser will be held here at the Ag Hall on February, 11th--doors open at 7:30 PM
Devotion

She'd never been in love before

She feared she would never be

She feared she would spend her life alone--heart withered and deformed.

No eye would fill with the sight of her

No heart would beat for her alone

*

But then, but then he had found her

He--the sight of him makes her yearn

He comes to her and her pulse races

His velvet voice stirs her blood

He draws her close and they are alone in the universe

The love for which she has sought

For which she feared would never come

Is born, breathes, and engulfs them

January 10th, 2011 was an ordinary day--for most, but for me it was a day to celebrate. After five years of often interrupted writing The Sweater Curse (my thriller) was finally published by Decadent Publishing.
Here is one of favourite scenes...

(You can hear me reading this scene by clicking on the YouTube at the right of this blog)

Now for something new, from a manuscript I'm currently working on--TURNING is a Young Adult adventure loosely based on my experiences as a Katimavik volunteer. As a volunteer, I live din three provinces--the first was Newfoundland. My dad had been stationed in Newfoundland during the Second World War.

I read a brief excerpt from TURNING.


Then there was some more singing.


Some poetry...

Finally, the No Sh!t Shirleys took the stage

The night was truly wonderful. I'm sorry you could be there. Much thanks to Terrill for taking the pictures of me and my friend Nan. (I apologize for the quality of the pictures that I took--but you do what you can.) Thanks as well to the organizers of this event.

No comments: