Monday, January 10, 2011

Your generousity overwhelms me...let's eat

Okay, so, here's the deal--I'm overwhelmed.
I was going to make a list and thank everyone for donating food, drink and tunes. I started and soon just got too much. You're all so very sweet and generous. It's all too much for my poor tired brain. I will thank you all.
I don't know what I did to deserve your support, but I feel so blessed--I can't believe.
*
As a little girl I watched transfixed as my mom made fancy sandwiches. Ribboned sandwiches, rolled celery sandwiches, rolled celery sandwiches, checkboard sandwiches.


Decadent!
I watch her and dream...someday I'd have a party and serve my guests sandwiches like those.
Today's the day.
I found these sandwich recipes in one of my mom's old cookbooks: Purity Cook Book (it was first printed in 1932. My mom's copy was published in 1945.) On the cover it says there are 875 tested recipes.
Here are few...
'Rolled sandwiches
Use very fresh bread cut in thin slices. Spread with desired filling and roll, fasten with a toothpick, and chill. Rolled sandwiches may be brushed with melted butter, toasted and served hot.
Rolled Celery Sandwiches
Bread
Butter
Celery
Thousand Island Dressing
...
Slice bread 1/4 inch thick. Remove crusts and spread with softened butter. Cut stalks of cleaned celery into lengths equal to width of bread slices and fill with Thousand Island dressing or cream cheese. Place stalk on edge of each slice and roll into bread like a jelly roll. Wrap sandwiches in damp cloth to retain their shape and place in refrigerator for a few hours.
***
Banana Pinwheels
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 peanut butter
1/4 cup raspberry jam
Bread
4 small bananas
Cream butter, peanut butter and raspberry jam together. Remove crusts from a loaf of fresh bread and cut length-wise in 1/4-inch thick slices. Spread with peanut butter mixture, place a small banana at the end of each slice and roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap in a damp cloth and chill several hours. Cut rolls crosswise into pinwheels.
Variation: Other creamy spreads may be used, and a dill pickle substituted for the banana.
***
Ribbon Sandwiches
Cut bread in 1/4-inch slices, either two brown and one white, or two white and one brown. Spread a brown slice with butter and any filling that will spread. Place a buttered white slice on top. Butter the other side of the white slice and spread with filling of a different colour. Butter the remaining brown slice and place on top. Wrap in a damp cloth, chill, cut in thin slices and serve.
Variation: Before slicing, spread the outside of this pile of bread with cream cheese. Serve with a fork on a bed of salad greens.
***
Checkboard Sandwiches
Cut both brown and white bread into 1/2-inch slices. Butter a brown slice, spread evenly with filling and place a buttered white slice on top. Spread this with butter and filling and cover with a buttered brown slice. Alternate the next pile by beginning with a white slice, then brown and white again. Chill these piles of bread separately, wrapped in a damp cloth. Cut each pile in 1/2-inch slices. Spread each slice with butter and combine the slices in groups of three in such a way that the brown strips alternate with white strips. Chill again wrapped in a damp towel and cut into 1/4-slices to serve.'
***
Thank you all for making this day so very special for me. : )
***

Next post: Free pattern: Halfa (half a sweater)

No comments: