Thursday, December 9, 2010

Meet an Mayne Island artist--Terrill Welch

I met Terrill Welch at an event she organized to celebrate International Women's Day. After our short chat, I had a feeling that I had met a dynamic woman, who is living in a life of abundance.

I'm pleased to introduce Terrill.

Where did you live before coming to Mayne Island?

Naming the string of places I have called home would make a fairy ring around Mayne Island. We most recently lived in Pedder Bay on the far side of the district of Metchosin outside of Victoria. I was born in the farming community of Vanderhoof, British Columbia in the year 1958.

Why did you come to Mayne Island?

My partner and I could live anywhere in the world. David is retired and my business is flexible and international in scope. We quickly decided that we wanted to stay in Canada. Prince Edward Island was a strong contender on our list of choices. Fortunately, we found our home first before deciding on any particular geographic location and it just happened to be on Mayne Island. We moved to Mayne Island in May 2007. We now live in a beautiful eco-friendly strawbale timberframe home that was built by Tracy Calvert. To the relief of our collection of eight grown children, we have settled on the south west coast instead of across the country!


Why do you stay?

We are comfortable with the semi-rural life-style and feel like a valued part of the small community here on the island.

What do you do for fun on the island?

My most favourite island activity is to hike around exploring cliffs and seashores with a heavy digital cannon camera slung over my shoulder. My second most favourite thing is to have friends and family over to visit.

What are you employed at?

I am a full-time creative being between impressionist nature paintings, photography and writing. I have an active blog at Creative Potager http://creativepotager.wordpress.com
and an online storefront at redbubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/terrillwelch
I love community and both of these venues allow me to be connected to a global creative community that feeds my artist juices while living on a small island off the southwest coast of Canada.

What do you like best about living and working here?

...that I can!

What do you like the least?

Long-term what is least controllable about living on an island is reliable and affordable ferry service.

Why would you leave?

We are staying.

Please share parting words of advice, comments, concerns, hints or tips

A vision not lived remains only a dream--may you be living your vision!




Note: all photos were taken by me--amateur photographer.
*
Please visit me at 30 days of decadence (http://30daysofdecadence.blogspot.com)
One lucky contributor will win my audiobook Novelty Yarn and a copy of my cozy mystery Maynely A Mystery.
*
I had fun surfering the web today (Instead of working on my WIP, oops) and found these interesting posts. Knitwear designers J C Briar (http://jcbriar.com/blog) and Jill Wolcott (http://y2knitpatterns.blogspot.com) talk about their art. Now, excuse me, I have to write.
*
Next post: Guest blogger: Terrill Welch writes "Within a Curse"
*
Six Sentences Sunday, I'll be there...hope to see you. : )

2 comments:

holessence said...

Leanne - How cool to find my friend, Terrill Welch, being featured here!

Leanne Dyck said...

Yes, it was very cool to have her visit. Maybe some day you'll come for a cup of tea?