Friday, November 19, 2010

What is a paranormal psychological thriller?

To answer this question, let's focus on each of these words individually.

Paranormal

Answers.com defines paranormal as 'beyond the range of normal experiences or scientific explanation'

Psychological

Wikipedia.org defines psychological as 'elements that are related to the mind or processes of the mind, they are mental rather than physical in nature'

Thriller

In James Scott Bell's book Plot & Structure, he writes that a thriller is 'like a vise closing on the Lead. And the events get tighter and tighter, threatening the Lead in some drastic way.'

Did I set out to write a paranormal psychological thriller?

Well, no, I wrote a story. I discovered the genre, while planning how to market The Sweater Curse.

I've always enjoyed both paranormals and thrillers. So, as a writer, it was a thrill (pun intended) combining the two genres.

In the May/June 2010 issue of Writer's Digest there is a fascinating article on the does and don'ts of combining genres.

Next post: How did I name my story?

No comments: