Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What is an eReader?

The Sweater Curse will be published as an eBook and you may choose to read it on an eReader.

Before addressing today's topic, you may ask--what's an eBook?

I found this explanation:

'An ebook is an electronic version of a traditional print book that can be read by using a personal computer or by using an eBook reader...Users...purchase...a downloadable file from a website...Generally, an eBook can be downloaded in five minutes or less.

Although it is not necessary to use a reader application or device in order to read an eBook...they are popular.' (To read the entire article, please visit:
http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/eBook)

I don't own an Ereaders. I read Ebooks on my computer screen.

A few weeks ago I was discussing Ereaders with my fellow Decadent Publishing authors. I was intrigued by what I learnt and asked Ellen Keener to guest blog.

Ellen Keener is the author of the paranormal romance Blood Moon. (
http://www.decadentpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=161&osCsid=ffu9odf44vs419tco3belp283)


Ellen writes:

eReaders

Most people have an opinion on them, whether they've used them or not. Let's just look at the pros and cons for a moment.

Up until a few months ago I was one of those people who read eBooks on the computer, but just assumed that an eReader was another gadget I'd like to play with, but didn't need. I mean, I'd tried the eBook apps on my droid and hated them because the screen was too small. I also get migraines, so I figured anything I had to read on a screen wouldn't help that.

I told everyone I knew that maybe, MAYBE when they lowered in price I would think about it.

And then my brother got one. He travels a lot for work, so he bought one to take with him. He loved it.

So the next time I visited him, I played with his.

It wasn't anything like what I expected. It was easy to use, I could shop instantly (which is a con as far as my wallet is concerned) and I could put thousands of books in one slim little nook. That was probably the part that sold me the most, aside from instant gratification. I'd just come back from vacation where I'd only taken five books because that was all I could fit into the bag.

eReaders are great for trips. You can carry as many books as you want, read whatever you want, and if you're sometimes shy about reading those "bodice rippers" in public, no one knows what you're reading on them. Now, the instant gratification part is also nice, though I can't actually use it unless I am somewhere else. I live in the middle of nowhere, and we don't get good enough 3G to use that service. But I can go to work, the library, or the local Starbucks/Panera/whatever in the next county over and be fine.

The screens, for those of you who are wondering, are made with elink technology. And it's great. It looks like a book. No glare to speak of, and its easy on the eyes. You can make the fonts bigger if you need to. My only gripe is that because it is designed to look like a book, you have to have a booklight to read them in the dark. There is no screen lighting like in a cell phone or something.

Overall, they are an excellent choice for anyone who, like me, is running out of room on their shelves and/or purchases eBooks. Will there be books I still buy in paperback? Or course! But I'm content to use both.'

Please visit Ellen's blog:
http://ellenkeener.wordpress.com/

I treasure computer savvy friends. My romance angel friend Lorraine shared this link:

Http://terrycordingley.blogspot.com/2010/09/stephen-king-discusses-ebooks.html



Tomorrow: Holiday knitting solutions and free winter motif

No comments: