Friday, April 6, 2012

Please welcome Author Rebecca Hamilton


Mini Blurb:
Solving the mystery of an ancestor’s hanging might silence the clashing whispers in Sophia's mind, but the cult in her town and the supernaturals who secretly reside there are determined to silence her first.

Excerpt:
“Don’t be shy, girl. You’re far too pretty to hide.” My pursuer had a deep, masculine voice. A familiar voice.
Shit.
A short ways forward, trees parted to another path. I ran for it and squeezed through. The hem of my dress caught on something, and I started pulling.
My pursuer stood on the other side of the natural barrier, his eyes aglow and his gaze fixed on me. Over a foot taller than me and three times my size in muscle mass, there was no way for him to squeeze through.
He pulled on one of the trees, and it uprooted slightly. What the—who the hell was strong enough for that?
One look at his face gave me my answer.
Cody.
I yanked my dress, but it was stuck. He reached through and grabbed at the black silk hem.
“There you are,” he said.
I shook my head, trying to pull my dress from his firm grasp as he pulled me closer. My feet shuffled in their effort not to get too close, but another hard yank from him made me tumble forward. My forearms shot out to protect me from being pulled back through the trees.
When he reached through the space between the trees with his other hand, I saw my chance to reach down and give my dress another hard yank. The fabric ripped, leaving behind the swatch he firmly clutched in his hand.
I backed away and turned to run. A protruding root tripped me. I crashed into another tree but remained upright. My feet throbbed with each step, stinging as more rocks and debris shredded my skin.
Cody stepped out from behind a tree in the path ahead. I screamed, stopping so fast that I nearly fell forward.
He took a few calculated steps, but I didn’t let his slow advance stop me from scanning for a way out. A guttural vibration rumbled in his chest as he stalked ever closer. I couldn’t make out his features beyond his shadowy eyes and twisted smile.
I stumbled back, and my arm scraped against a tree as I sunk to the ground. Blood trickled between my knuckles.
“What do you want?” I asked.
He flashed his teeth. His eyes were completely black, and two of his top teeth extended with a sharp snap. He ran his tongue across one of them, and I nearly choked as I gasped.
Frantic, I tried to see the ground through the fog, but it was useless. My hands fumbled until I grabbed a heavy branch. He lunged. I jumped to my feet and swung. He stopped the blow mid-swing and caught my wrist with his other hand. My wrist crushed in his grasp, and I cried out sharply as the bone cracked. Shattered. Shards stabbed like needles beneath my flesh, the pain darkening my vision.
Through the flickering pain, I glared through half-lids at my attacker. I hadn’t done anything, but that didn’t seem to matter. He had me cornered, and I wasn't going down without a fight.


Author Main Site: www.beccahamiltonbooks.com
Forever Girl Series Site: www.theforevergirl.com

How/why did you start to write?
It was a bucket list item. I just wanted to be able to say I wrote a book. I kept starting books, but never finishing them. But once I finally finished, everything changed. It wasn’t a bucket list item anymore. It became my life. I’ve finished several books since (though all need revisions and editing still) and the ideas keep coming faster than I can keep up. In some ways, I think writing picked me.

What was your first published piece?
My first novel-length work is The Forever Girl, was released through my small publishing house, Immortal Ink Publishing, LLC on January 26, 2012. It’s available for sale on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords. The novel is also pending for print, iBookstore (if things continue to go well), and hopefully Kobo Books.

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?
I was, and continue to be, a mother of three. I also am an advocate for my son, who was diagnosed with Autism a little over a year ago. These experiences are absolutely an asset to my writing, as I am influenced and inspired most by those I love and by my personal experiences in this world. I’m driven to show the world, through my characters, the truth and beauty of the unknown. There are people in this world who are unusual and who we struggle to understand, but they are not ‘wrong’. We just don’t understand them. I like to show insights to characters like these people, to show that they make perfect sense, even if we don’t can’t relate from the outside looking in.

Please share one of your successful marketing techniques.
Connect with people. Let me put it this way: you can’t be a writer (at least not one worth reading, IMO) unless you are interested in people. You don’t have to be an extrovert. Despite my seemingly social behavior online, I’m very much an introvert. But online communication that I can engage in on my terms allows me to socialize within my comfort zone. But introvert or not, one of the best things about writing is exploring character, which you can’t do if you don’t care about people. So in this way, just being is a great way to market. Write the best book you can, edit it the best you can, and care about people. More often than not, they will care back. And that’s the best exposure you can get. I’m not sure if this counts or not, but to me, being human and being a writer are your best marketing tools. Of course, making a little noise to share your passion for your books helps, too. But it helps more when it’s coming from the writer in  you, not the “marketer” in you.

Thank you so much for having me here today! I really appreciate these opportunities to share my heart and thoughts with others, and I hope others will leave a comment below to share their hearts and thoughts with me as well.

4 comments:

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you, Rebecca, for your thoughtful and generous post.

Laurie Buchanan said...

I went out to Rebecca's website - nice! It's great to know that her current book is Volume One in a series.

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for your comment, Laurie. And for following Rebecca's link.

Women's Safari 4-pocket Belted 2-piece Pant Suit said...

These post is great! Thanks for sharing. I had a great time reading your post.